Re: Update from kernel 2.2 to 2.4 mit the stable release

On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 03:31:44PM +0100, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:
> Hi
>
> Thanks for that help.
>
> I got the modutils rpm from kernel.org and installed it with no probs.
>
> Now i downloaded the e2fs source files from the depian ftp. I got 3 files.
> The main file, a diff file and a .dsc file. For what do i need the .dsc file?
> Is this a kind of an info file for buliding a .deb file? if yes, how do i
> build the .deb file that it includes the main (then compiled), the diff and
> the dsc file?

Forget rpms.  If you have it installed it is probably OK but .debs are
much preferred.  You can install the deb source with dpkg but the easy
way is using apt-get.  You should become familiar with that.  It will
make your life easy.

In - /etc/apt/sources.list
make sure you have a couple lines like -
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable non-US
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free

You can change "unstable" to "testing" if you like.

Run -
# apt-get update  (I think this step is needed, if you didn't have source
                   lines in sources.list, won't hurt anyway)

Make a directory in /usr/src and move there (name doesn't matter) and
run-

# apt-get -b source e2fsprogs

That will build a .deb you can install with -

# dpkg -i whatever.deb

I'm going to cc: the list as I think it is best to keep it there in case
anyone else had the same question.
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted