kernel and tulip??

O.k. I just installed kernel 2.2.18 that was a .deb on a 2.2.12 system.  How to get this kernel to start over the 2.2.12.  Tried to make boot disk for it but i got fd0 errorsabout bad block sectors.  Need new floppies??  It's on a dual boot with w98:( .  Also tulip will only run in half duplex .I tried to add a line to /etc.modules like i was told but it still runs in half when checked with tulip-diag.  Would I be better off getting the lastest driver and where to get it?