Re: Help on strategy for debian install needed

Are there major disadvantages with this approach?

> First off please set your mail client to wrap at 72 characters when
> sending to this list.
Sorry, but I'm using an unfamiliar Windows machine.I hope this reply is
better.  Thanks for your comments.

> > Finally, one specific query: I have a Matrox G450.  There have been
some comments from people implying that the drivers for this are (a) not
very good (b) only work with XFree 4.xx.  Could someone tell me whether
this is just a 3D acceleration issue?  I'm not overly concerned at the
moment with 3D acceleration and would be quite happy with good 2D
acceleration and XFree 3.xx. Am I likely to have any problems with
getting a decent X display after installing 2.2r2?

> I really don't have any experience with this card.  I put "linux
Matrox
> G450" into google.com and the first hit was -
> http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1322
> seems fairly informative to me.  I'm sure you can find more in the
same

Of course, I did this before posting, and indeed looked at that page,
but it didn't seem to answer my specific query.  Other posts to this
list seemed to imply there were problems.  My concern is whether they
are just related to 3D acceleration. And whether I can use the G450 with
2.2r2 just using 2D.

- Richard.
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/