Help on strategy for debian install needed

Hi:

I'm about to install Debian 2.2r2 from CDs for the first time.  I have no previous Debian experience, but have some experience with Mandrake 7.0.

I should really appreciate some guidance on the strategy for installation.  I assume that most people select specific packages for installation, but my instincts are to install everything (plenty of disk space), live with it for a while, and then remove what I *know* I don't need when I'm familiar with the system.  That way, I assume, I am less likely to run into some of the problems raised in this list the solution to which often seems to be to install this or that package.  Are there major disadvantages with this approach?

Another issue is that there are several packages I need that I know to be reasonably stable (like Blackbox 0.61) but which are not in 2.2.  Am I correct that I should just download the deb packages for these and install them, putting them on 'hold' in dpkg?

Finally, one specific query: I have a Matrox G450.  There have been some comments from people implying that the drivers for this are (a) not very good (b) only work with XFree 4.xx.  Could someone tell me whether this is just a 3D acceleration issue?  I'm not overly concerned at the moment with 3D acceleration and would be quite happy with good 2D acceleration and XFree 3.xx. Am I likely to have any problems with getting a decent X display after installing 2.2r2?

Thanks.

- Richard.
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/