Re: event viewer application

ktb wrote:
> I've never seen "event viewer" but did a quick look on the web and it
> looks like a logging tool.  If that is the case, yes debian has syslog.
> sysklogd is the actual daemon that runs.  Type "man sysklogd" into
> your favorite search engine and you should come up with enough info to
> give you a basic idea.  If I were you I would install debian
> without any graphical interface and start playing with it, until you
> become familiar enough to administer it.

To cover a few basics, the logfiles mostly live in /var/log, and
are "rotated" into gzipped archives on (usually) a daily basis, with
a week's worth around at any point.  When something goes wrong, the
debugging process almost always starts with "ls -lrt /var/log/" and
"tail -f /var/log/<whatever>log" (you can read them without being
root if you're in the "adm" group).

I don't know of any good GUI logfile-readers, but anyway I wouldn't
swap one for what I have got - the package "logcheck", which
monitors the logs for anomalies and mails me regular "edited
highlights".
--
Justin B Rye - writing from but not for Datacash Ltd