Uncompilable sources

The short of it: A number of debian sources won't compile because of
the following problem:

usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ldb

>From previous posts I learned the problem has something to do with
libdb-something. I checked my system. I seem to have some sort of
libdb installed.

debian:/# dpkg -L libc6-dev | grep "libdb"
/usr/lib/libdb1.so

debian:/# dpkg -l | grep "libdb"
ii  libdb2         2.4.14-2.7.7.1 The Berkeley database routines
(run-time fil
ii  libdb2-dev     2.4.14-2.7.7.1 The Berkeley database routines
(development
ii  libdb2-util    2.4.14-2.7.7.1 The Berkeley database routines
(development

debian:/# dpkg -L libdb2-dev | grep "libdb2.so"
/usr/lib/libdb2.so

What am I missing? Can someone suggest a working workaround? The
compilation failure hits a number of gtk/gnome programs that I want
in their rawest, latest form (programs which incidentally compile
cleanly in my Mandrake): gnucash, gtktalog, screem.

--
Just testing this signature thing!