gratuitous arp

hi all

i need to send a gratuitous arp to facilitate an ip-address takeover
scheme, so that other machines in the network will have correct
ethernet/ip address association.  before i write my own code to send
out an unsolicited arp reply, i just want to check if some one has
implemented this already and is willing to share their knowledge/code.
my question about sending an arp is how do i get the system's ethernet
address - is there a system function call that readily does this.
even better is if there is a system function that sends out an arp
reply.

pls. cc my email address

tia
pd