Re: gratuitous arp

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 11:06:35PM -0500, patd@dahiroc.net wrote:
> hi all
>
> i need to send a gratuitous arp to facilitate an ip-address takeover
> scheme, so that other machines in the network will have correct
> ethernet/ip address association.  before i write my own code to send
> out an unsolicited arp reply, i just want to check if some one has
> implemented this already and is willing to share their knowledge/code.
> my question about sending an arp is how do i get the system's ethernet
> address - is there a system function call that readily does this.
> even better is if there is a system function that sends out an arp
> reply.

I did some work on this a while back that turned into a shell script.
I'm not suggesting that this is the best way to do it but it does work.
Baically the output if ifconfig is used to get the hardware address
and an external (supplied) programme is called to send the gratuitous arp.

See

http://vergenet.net/linux/fake/

--
Horms