Re: capslock as control in console

kmself@ix.netcom.com writes:

> on Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 12:00:43PM -0500, Dan Christensen (jdc@uwo.ca) wrote:
> > I use the following to make capslock act as control in the console
> > window.  What I'm wondering is if there is a way to do this without
> > installing console-tools, which depends on console-data and
> > console-tools-libs, which altogether require almost 5M of disk space
> > on my machine.  Any thoughts?
>
> Which, at current rates of disk storage, costs you about $0.004 --
> that's four cents of a cent, US.

Of course the actual disk space used is not the issue.  More important
are:  the time required to download new versions when I dist-upgrade;
the time required to unpack and install these; the additional time
taken to perform a backup; the possibility of needing an extra CD to
backup onto (my system is close to overflowing a CD); and, if my
system grows enough, the time required to install a new, larger hard
drive and transfer the system to it.  [My system is a relatively slow
laptop, so all of these costs are real.]

Because of these issues, I try to keep my machines as lean as
possible.

loadkeys works without having console-data installed, so maybe
console-tools should just recommend console-data?

Dan