Re: debian 2.2 with 8 meg ?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Damon Muller" <dm-debian-user@empire.net.au>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2001 12:15 PM
Subject: Re: debian 2.2 with 8 meg ?

> I've installed, and happily run, potato on a 486 with 8M of RAM (an old
> notebook, for which a ram upgrade is difficult). It works, but I hope
> you're a very patient man to survive the install.

I have some old 386 30Mhz, 486 100Mhz machines with 4 MB of RAM and 50 - 100 MB of
HDD with ethernet card, on which I would like to run Linux with X server (for X
terminals). I know that that is difficult, but I have fast ethernet, so for HDD, the
NFS would be a solution. But I also think that installing an older version of Debian
would be much better (because I think that older versions of programs require less
memory and CPU than newer versions), but I don't know if that is possible. Can I
install perhaps Debian 1.0 by dselect  from net? So, I would put InstallFloppy in,run
computer, then run dselect (or apt-get) and instal Debian - is that realistic? Well,
I hope it is.
Any links about setting up X terminals?
Thank you for all!
Bye,