Re: Potato and kernel 2.4

Quoth Morten Bo Johansen,
> I was wondering if anyone could provide me with a link
> explaining the steps one needs to take to install a 2.4
> kernel on a potato system. I suppose that several packages
> (e.g. pppd) need to be updated to get a functioning system..

Since no-one else has provided a step-by-step guide, I've give it a go
based on what I did.

Some of this you will already know, but I'm trying to be complete!

NB: `*' used when I couldn't be bothered finding out what the file was
actually called. Tab-completion is your friend here!

1) Download the kernel

% wget http://your.kernel.mirror/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4.1.tar.bz2

2) Unpack it into the directory you want to build it

% tar xIvpf linux-2.4.1.tar.bz2 /usr/src

3) Download the ac patches if you are adventurous and/or have issues
that they help resolve.

% wget
% http://your.kernel.mirror/pub/linux/kernel/people/alan/2.4/patch-2.4.1-ac2.bz2

4) Apply any patches

% cd linux ; bzcat ~/downloads/patch-2.4.1-ac2.bz2 | patch -p 1

5) Build your kernel

% make menuconfig

% make kpkg-clean ; fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image

6) Download any extra bits and pieces you need. You at least need
modutils-2.4.x, and may need reiserfsprogs and/or devfsd. You will
probably need to get these from sid and compile them yourself, so:

6a) Add:

deb-src http://your.debian.mirror/debian unstable main contrib non-free

to your /etc/apt/sources.list

6b) Download and build your needed apps:

% apt-get source modutils
% cd modutils-2.4.*
% debian/rules binary

6c) Install your new packages

# dpkg --install ../modutils*.deb

7) Install your kernel

# dpkg --install kernel_image*.deb

8) Double check that you have a sane /etc/lilo.conf

9) Cross your fingers and re-boot.

That should be all you need to do, although getting the right options in
the new kernel can take a bit of work, so be prepared to compile it a
few times (I think I did it about 8 times before I got everything I
wanted, and then 2.4.1 was out!) Also be aware that it seems to take a
lot longer to compile that older kernels do.

On an up-to-date potato, I suspect that modutils is really all you have
to upgrade (maybe ppp, if you use it, I don't, so I don't know).
Building the source packages from sid is quick and easy, however, so go
nuts. I don't believe you have to do anything silly like upgrade gcc.

Please note that all this is off the top of my head, so corrections are
welcome, and YMMV.

cheers,

damon

--
Damon Muller              | Did a large procession wave their torches
Criminologist/Linux Geek  | As my head fell in the basket,