Re: Gnome 1.2 and potato

> robhr@core.com writes:
>

> > What if I have the debian gnome 1.0 packages installed already?
Will
> > the Ximian packages recognize that and upgrade them accordingly?
Or
> > will I have to uninstall 1.0 and install Ximian's 1.2?
>
> Since the Ximian packages have the same names (just different
version
> strings) the update should work.
> Btw: Perhaps it would be better if you (re)move your ~/.gnome*
> directories, so that the new GNOME will create the new config files.
>
>         hth,
> 	moritz
> --
> Moritz Schulte <moritz@chaosdorf.de> http://www.chaosdorf.de/moritz/
> Debian/GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org/ http://www.gnu.org/
> GPG fingerprint = 3A14 3923 15BE FD57 FC06  B501 0841 2D7B 6F98 4199

Doesn't that partially defeat the point?  I usually like to have the
newer versions of programs create the config files too, but in the
case of gnome I'd lose all the configuration I'd done to get it how I
want it.  Are the config files that different and/or incompatible?
Are is there functionality you can't get if you use config files from
1.0?

Rob