Re: XF86v4: mouse and fonts

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 12:20:14PM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> on Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 11:14:39AM -0600, Nathan E Norman (nnorman@micromuse.com) wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 05:28:44AM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> > > I've upgraded my laptop from stable to testing.  In the process, I seem
> > > to have versioned up to XFree86v4.  Currently:
> > >
> > >   - X display managers don't allow a session to start (see attached
> > >     error output).  This is annoying, but not a biggie.  startx works
> > >     fine.  But I have been beating my head against the wall trying to
> > >     figure out what wdm's startup sequence is.
> >
> > Check the file /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config.  In it there is a line which
> > should read
> >
> >   allowed_users=console
> >
> > but by default reads
> >
> >   allowed_users=root
>
> I've already done this.  From the error output, I'm guessing that it's
> an argument problem to the X startup command, not an access line
> problem.

Hmm.  Does xdm or gdm work?  (I know you probably don't want to
install another package ..)

> > >   - Mouse:  how do you configure three-button emulation for a two-button
> > >     touchpad with V4?  This is driving me nuts.
> >
> > dunno ... are you using dexter to configure?

Have you tried

  dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 -plow

I really like debconf with the slang frontend

> I tried it, wasn't impressed.  Believe it overwrote my XF86Config file,
> rather than the XF86Config-4.  I use and like XF86Setup under v3, dexter
> appears to be largely line-oriented.

Hmm, that'd be a bug!  I've always ended up with an XF86Config-4 ...

> > >   - Fonts.  I've got truetype fonts and had been using xfstt.
> > >     Currently, if I add the line
> > >
> > > 	xset fp+ unix/:7101
> > >
> > >     ...to my /etc/X11/Xsession or ~/.xinitrc file, X fails to launch any
> > >     rxvts and crashes when I attempt to launch them manually after a
> > >     couple of attempts.
> >
> > Same here ... apparently X4 supports truetype out of the box so xfstt
> > isn't needed.  I haven't had time to play with this yet but there were
> > at least two threads about this topic last week.  I'll send you the
> > messages if you need them.
>
> Thanks.  I've been travelling, haven't follwed the list as closely as I
> could have.  Go ahead and shoot them at me, I'll also check archives.

Sent via private mail.  Since we've a storm here and I'm in the office
alone I'll play with this today to see if I can get it to work :)

Regards,

Micromuse Inc.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.