Re: XF86v4: mouse and fonts

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 05:28:44AM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> I've upgraded my laptop from stable to testing.  In the process, I seem
> to have versioned up to XFree86v4.  Currently:
>
>   - X display managers don't allow a session to start (see attached
>     error output).  This is annoying, but not a biggie.  startx works
>     fine.  But I have been beating my head against the wall trying to
>     figure out what wdm's startup sequence is.

Check the file /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config.  In it there is a line which
should read

  allowed_users=console

but by default reads

  allowed_users=root

>   - Mouse:  how do you configure three-button emulation for a two-button
>     touchpad with V4?  This is driving me nuts.

dunno ... are you using dexter to configure?

>   - Fonts.  I've got truetype fonts and had been using xfstt.
>     Currently, if I add the line
>
> 	xset fp+ unix/:7101
>
>     ...to my /etc/X11/Xsession or ~/.xinitrc file, X fails to launch any
>     rxvts and crashes when I attempt to launch them manually after a
>     couple of attempts.

Same here ... apparently X4 supports truetype out of the box so xfstt
isn't needed.  I haven't had time to play with this yet but there were
at least two threads about this topic last week.  I'll send you the
messages if you need them.

Good luck,

Micromuse Inc.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.