Re: XF86v4: mouse and fonts

on Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 11:14:39AM -0600, Nathan E Norman (nnorman@micromuse.com) wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 05:28:44AM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> > I've upgraded my laptop from stable to testing.  In the process, I seem
> > to have versioned up to XFree86v4.  Currently:
> >
> >   - X display managers don't allow a session to start (see attached
> >     error output).  This is annoying, but not a biggie.  startx works
> >     fine.  But I have been beating my head against the wall trying to
> >     figure out what wdm's startup sequence is.
>
> Check the file /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config.  In it there is a line which
> should read
>
>   allowed_users=console
>
> but by default reads
>
>   allowed_users=root

I've already done this.  From the error output, I'm guessing that it's
an argument problem to the X startup command, not an access line
problem.

> >   - Mouse:  how do you configure three-button emulation for a two-button
> >     touchpad with V4?  This is driving me nuts.
>
> dunno ... are you using dexter to configure?

I tried it, wasn't impressed.  Believe it overwrote my XF86Config file,
rather than the XF86Config-4.  I use and like XF86Setup under v3, dexter
appears to be largely line-oriented.

> >   - Fonts.  I've got truetype fonts and had been using xfstt.
> >     Currently, if I add the line
> >
> > 	xset fp+ unix/:7101
> >
> >     ...to my /etc/X11/Xsession or ~/.xinitrc file, X fails to launch any
> >     rxvts and crashes when I attempt to launch them manually after a
> >     couple of attempts.
>
> Same here ... apparently X4 supports truetype out of the box so xfstt
> isn't needed.  I haven't had time to play with this yet but there were
> at least two threads about this topic last week.  I'll send you the
> messages if you need them.

Thanks.  I've been travelling, haven't follwed the list as closely as I
could have.  Go ahead and shoot them at me, I'll also check archives.