Re: 2.4 kernel

Quoth Harald Thingelstad,

> > With the proper modutils ( >= 2.4.1), I was able to build it (with
> > kernel-package) with no problems. You'll need some extras if you want to
> > run devfs (devfsd) or reiserfs (reiserfsprogs), but if you don't want to
> > do anything too exciting, it should just work.
>
> Then again, you can save yourself from all those kinds of potential trouble
> with make-kpkg. It builds debian packages from the kernel source.
> I normally use something like:

Well... While Kernel-package (ie., make-kpkg) is great, and I do use it
all the time, it doesn't obviate the need for these extra packages if
you use those bits of the kernel. Kernel-package won't install the
modutils that you need to use the 2.4 series if you are using potato or
testing (or at least, testing when I did it). It also wont automagically
read your mind that you're compiling in reiserfs and install
reiserfsprogs for you.

> Brand new kernel:
>
> cd /usr/src
> tar xjf archive/linux-2.4.0.tar.bz2
> bunzip2 -c archive/patch-2.4.1.bz2 |patch -p0
> mv linux kernel-source-2.4.1
> ln kernel-source-2.4.1 linux
> cd linux
> make menuconfig
> sudo make-kpkg --revision computername.0 kernel-image
> cd ..
> sudo dpkg -i kernel-image_2.4.1_computername.0_i386.deb
> (fix up the lilo settings as I don't agree with the defaults, then run lilo.)
>
> Later reconfiguration:
>
> cd /usr/src/linux
> make menuconfig
> sudo make-kpkg clean
> sudo make-kpkg --revision computername.1 kernel-image
> cd /boot
> mmv "*.2.4.1" "#1.2.4.1.0"

I've never done this above step, and never had any problems. Is it
necessary? Anyone?

> cd /lib/modules
> mv 2.4.1 2.4.1.0
> sudo dpkg -i /usr/src/kernel-image_2.4.1_computername.1_i386.deb
> (fix up the lilo settings as I don't agree with the defaults, then run lilo.)

The lilo behaviour can be fine-tuned in /etc/kernel-pkg.conf. For
example, because I have /boot as its own partition, I have
kernel-package install its symlinks into /boot, rather than /.

cheers,

damon

--
Damon Muller              | Did a large procession wave their torches
Criminologist/Linux Geek  | As my head fell in the basket,