mbr-package vs lilo in mbr?

Hi

I'm interested in comments on the pros and cons of three alternative
configurations:

1) Keeping the dos mbr and having lilo in a partition boot sector.
   Changing the bootable flags will initiate lilo etc.
   This seems infeasible if the partition where lilo resides starts
beyond 1024 cylinders.

2) Installing the mbr package and having lilo in a partition boot
sector.
   Is it correct that this may work for partitions beyond 1024 cyls?

3) Installing lilo in the mbr directly.
   As I understand lilo>=21.4 finds kernels beyond 1024 cyls in this
config.

I guess the fourth alternative should be using grub, but I'm yet too
unfamiliar with this.

Background:
This discussion came up for a W2K-Debian Woody dual boot Sony Laptop
with 20GB of disk.
I have read that W2K disk manager can be upset by an unrecognized boot
sectors
and some other small problems and I'm hesitating about which way may
cause the
least problem in the future.

Anders