iptables and MSN zone

I have set up a NAT/firewall box running debian testing/unstable (a mix)
and kernel 2.4.0. I am using the firewall.sh script from
firewall.nerdherd.net (iptables-firewall-0.99).

So far everything works well. I think the script should have mentioned or
included `echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward`, which tripped us up
for a while, but that's a separate issue :o)

We have found one problem: playing Asheron's Call from a windows box
inside the firewall. We did a lot of digging on the net and found some
information about loose UDP communication and fixes for 2.2.x kernels for
these services. I can't find anything on 2.4 kernels, though.

I have tried a few things, but I do not think I know enough about
iptables to really get it working for sure. I think this loose UDP thing
could be a factor, but I don't know enough about kernel 2.4 to know.

1) does anyone have success stories about Asheron's Call with 2.4 in a
similar configuration? What was the solution?

2) is there any iptables-based advantage to switching to 2.4.1?

3) is there any (dis) advantage to switching *back* to 2.2.x where known
fixes exist?

I swear I saw a fix for this somewhere on a mailing list very recently but
I can't find it.

-nicole

--
      http://colby.dhs.org  @  Colby - me!