Re: french hyphenation patterns

On 5 Feb 2001, Ben Pfaff wrote:

> I'm currently trying to figure out how to typeset French properly with
> LaTeX under Debian.  Most everything seems to work properly [...]
> However, hyphenation doesn't come out correctly.  I get the following
> output from TeX:
> [...]
>     Package babel Warning: No hyphenation patterns were loaded for
>     (babel)                the language `French'
>     (babel)                I will use the patterns loaded for \language=0 instead.
> [...]

You need to build a new so-called format file which includes the
hyphenation patterns for French. To do so, run the program 'texconfig' (as
root), choose the option hyphen and uncomment the line about French, ie.
remove the percent sign in front of the lines:

french     frhyphen
=patois

All should fine afterwards. Please feel free to ask if the above is not
clear or does not work.

Jitse Niesen