Re: PHP4 in 'testing'?

In article <[🔎] E14PW6B-0006BX-00@riva.ucam.org>, Colin Watson wrote:
>That's not quite all that's necessary. A more precise definition of
>"major problems" there is that none of the binary packages generated
>from the source package may have any release-critical bugs (i.e. bugs of
>severity serious, grave, or critical). Also, it must be in sync on all
>Debian's architectures: that doesn't mean it necessarily has to be built
>for all those architectures, but on the architectures where it has been
>built it must stay in sync. All its dependencies must have satisfied
>these conditions and made it into testing, too. And the version of the
>package that's a candidate for being installed into testing must have
>been in unstable for a certain amount of time.

>php4 is a large and fairly complex package, and it wouldn't surprise me
>if it failed at least one of these. The exact reasons can be found in
>the output from the testing scripts at
>http://ftp-master.debian.org/testing/ (particularly
>update_excuses.html), although the output is rather cryptic and you have
>to know how to read it. I'd have a look for you, but ftp-master seems to
>be down at the moment, so I'll try again later.

Ok, that is all clear to me then. Thank you for explaining :)

Am I right in assuming that since PHP4 in any version is completely
absent in testing that ever since the start of 'testing' it has failed
to build properly / meet all dependencies etc. ? The ftp-master still
seems to be down so I haven't been able to have a look at the
update_excuses yet.

>The maintainer is probably the best person to try to sort out any
>problems; after that, debian-devel is more likely to be read by more of
>the relevant people than debian-user.

Looks like (see other post on this subject) this might be what I need
to try. I did not want to bother the maintainer or developers list
with a question that most likely raised out of user ignorance /
stupidity.

Thank you for your answer Colin :)

--
PGP: 0x4CE578BF ICQ: 760542 | Linux winter 2.2.16 is up 13 days, 11:54
http://uss-centauris.org/   | Reporter: Mr Gandhi, what do you think of