Re: PHP4 in 'testing'?

remmy@cistron.nl (Remco Rijnders) wrote:
>I have my apt sources list pointed at tracking the "testing" release
>of Debian. As I understand it this is supposed to be a repository of
>the latest packages that have been used without major problems in
>unstable for an 'x' number of days.
>
>Provided the assumption above is correct, why is PHP4 not in this
>collection?

That's not quite all that's necessary. A more precise definition of
"major problems" there is that none of the binary packages generated
from the source package may have any release-critical bugs (i.e. bugs of
severity serious, grave, or critical). Also, it must be in sync on all
Debian's architectures: that doesn't mean it necessarily has to be built
for all those architectures, but on the architectures where it has been
built it must stay in sync. All its dependencies must have satisfied
these conditions and made it into testing, too. And the version of the
package that's a candidate for being installed into testing must have
been in unstable for a certain amount of time.

php4 is a large and fairly complex package, and it wouldn't surprise me
if it failed at least one of these. The exact reasons can be found in
the output from the testing scripts at
http://ftp-master.debian.org/testing/ (particularly
update_excuses.html), although the output is rather cryptic and you have
to know how to read it. I'd have a look for you, but ftp-master seems to
be down at the moment, so I'll try again later.

The maintainer is probably the best person to try to sort out any
problems; after that, debian-devel is more likely to be read by more of
the relevant people than debian-user.

Cheers,