Re: ALSA & missing symbols

I am getting ready to install alsa. and have some questions.
Is the *binary* 2.2.18pre21  kernel included in 2.2rev2 cds
all right for alsa - selected for sound but no specific card option set?

When you (Brian) say "corresponding alsa modules" are you referring
to precompiled modules, as were available for 2.0.36 kernel in slink
or the d.i.y. source for alsa modules? If precompiled modules
for 2.2.18pre21 are available, where did you get them?

When you (Warren) say the 2.2.18 kernels are fjucked up - what do you
mean?

Would you recommend any other kernels other than 2.4.0 as not being
fjucked up?

Exactly how far must one go in the kernel configuration/compiling
process to create the include (<*.h>) files needed to compile the alsa
module source?

Or just more generally and to anyone, if you are going to have to compile
a kernel to install alsa, which one would you choose.

                                                          Thanks