Re: broken packages?

On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 10:34:22PM -0500, Michael P. Soulier wrote:

> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>   libgnome-dev: Depends: gdk-imlib-dev (>= 1.9.0-1) but it is not going to be
> installed
>                 Depends: libgtk1.2-dev but it is not going to be installed
>                 Depends: libart-dev but it is not going to be installed
>                 Depends: libesd0-dev
> E: Sorry, broken packages

    Ok, I think I've figured out what's going on. I while back I upgraded to
helix gnome, and then I decided to go back to pure Potato to compare. I did an
apt-get --purge remove "gnome*", but that didn't get rid of everything. It's
all coming down to this.

  libgtk1.2-dev: Depends: libgtk1.2 (= 1.2.7-1) but 1.2.8-helix2 is to be
installed

    I don't know why it's saying "is to be installed" because I have it
installed. Thus, because the dev package requires _exactly_ the 1.2.7-1
version, and not > 1.2.7-1, it's an unmet dependency.

    Now, can I assume that the reason why it won't do this is that apt-get
won't downgrade a package? Correct me if I'm wrong.

    So, the solution would appear to be to force a removal of that install
package, and then try again, yes? I tried a dpkg -r on it to see the
dependencies, and now it's marked for removal.

    Related questions:

    1. Once something is marked for removal, is there a way to mark it for
installation again without dselect?
    2. How can apt-get be used to perform a "downgrade", if at all?
    3. How is the apt cache and the dpkg database related, if at all?

    I'm slowly getting my head around these, so bear with me. The only problem
with apt is that it fails so rarely that when it does, I have no practice at
how to handle the problem. It's like a Unix box crashing. ;-)

    Thanks in advance,

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to UNIX