Installing XFree86 3.3.6

I installed a new set of Debian CDs recently, only to have anXious not
recognize my video card, a SiS 5597/5598.  After a little research, I found
that XFree86 3.3.6 should support the SiS 5597/5598 card, so I downloaded
the files from them.  Then, on trying to install, I received a message
saying that my system appears to use an a.out binary system, which is not
supported by this release of XFree86.  On the XFree86 website, I am told
that "Elf is the only binary type supported for Linux OSs."

All this stuff is new to me.  How can I deal with this problem?

Keith