Re: hd failure (maybe), please adivse

D-Man <dsh8290@rit.edu> writes:

> Thanks for the info.
>
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 08:22:36PM -0800, Mircea Luca wrote:
> [snip]
> |
> | My advice as a hardware tech,get a replacement drive from Maxtor,trade
> | it for
>
> Where can I trade it in?  (assuming I can find the warranty info)
>
> | something else(except Samsung) and never ever touch a Maxtor again.I've
> | replaced
>
> What make/model is your favorite?
>
> | a lot of them in the last 2 years(well over a hundred).If it clicks it's
> | as good as dead.The slowdown in apps it's the first sign and it's a
> | strange one becuse if you run specific DOS based diags or hdparm in
> | Linux they'll show a normal
> | transfer rate.

     You can download Powermax, a hardrive diagnostic tool, from
www.maxtor.com.  Unfortunately, you have to run it from DOS.  If it
indicates your drive is bad, you can get information about warranty
replacement from that site.  You don't need any warranty paperwork -
the warranty period is based on the drive model.  If it is in
warranty, there is an RAM Request Form on the site.  If your drive is
in warranty, and you request an "Advanced RMA" they will ship a
replacement drive within 2 days, and you can return the bad one after
you install the new one.  It makes the process almost painless.

Bob
--
   _
  |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard      <hilliard@debian.org>