Re: Dangers in "upgrading" to unstable?

Colin Cashman <ccashman@mediaone.net> wrote on 01/02/2001 (16:35) :
> I recently installed Debian on my laptop, but some of the programs I
> was planning on using exist only in unstable (for instance,
> Enlightenment 0.16.5).

Are you sure you want Enlightenment? It eats a lot of memory...

> What are the dangers in upgrading my system to run unstable? What
> issues am I likely to face if I do upgrade the whole thing to
> unstable? Would it simply be better to download the specific unstable
> packages I want and otherwise stick with simply running stable?

I wouldn't do it unless you really know what you are doing. Upgrade to
testing in stead of unstable, you may end up with a lot of broken
packages with unstable (not to say that this couldn't happen with
testing). Then upgrade the packages you want but which is only
in unstable, by hand.

--
Preben Randhol ---------------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
+---+ "There was, I think, never any reason to  believe in any innate
| ! |  superiority of the male, except his superior muscle."
+---+      -- Bertrand Russell, Ideas That Have Harmed Mankind (1950)