Re: are apt/sources.list http: and ftp: same?

At 03:05 PM 01/30/2001 -0600, will trillich wrote:
On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 11:03:02AM -0600, Gregory Guthrie wrote:
> At 10:52 PM 01/29/2001 -0600, will trillich wrote:
> >On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 11:32:41AM -0600, Gregory Guthrie wrote:
> > > I found that with http: lines in my /etc/apt/sources.list I pointed to
> > > woody, but apt-get would not install known things there. I changed it to
> > > ftp: and it worked fine.
> > >
> > > Should these be the same? If different, is this documented?

from what i recall of an identical thread frmo a coupla months
ago, the main difference is that ftp has a bit of overhead when
starting up any particular transfer. where http is designed for
"here's that file you asked for", ftp is designed for a bit more
interactive nosing-around.

as for the server end of the arrangement, they may be the same
identical file, or they may be served from servers located in
different countries.
-- The original question was not of performance, but functionality. I reported that http: lines to the woody were not finding known items, but simply changing it to ftp: fixed it. I think this is a bug, unless I am missing something.

Gregory
Gregory Guthrie
guthrie@mum.edu         (641)472-1125    Fax: -1103