NIS - shadow configuration on potato not working.

Greetings,

Does anyone have shadow passwords working under NIS? on a default
potato install?

I have two freshly squeezed potato boxes, on which I am trying to
set up NIS (server, client).

I have followed the setup documentation (which is good)
'/usr/doc/nis/nis.debian.howto.gz'
except that shadow passwords are not working correctly..

I can ypcat all of the other maps, except for shadow. (This is
expected as there is some encryption happening.)
I need to have an /etc/shadow file on the client.  If I shift a user
to the end (after the +:::::::: line) then the system fails to get
the authentication information. (Can't log in!)

No changes have been made to any of the NIS configuration files.

Paul