Re: LILO+IDE+SCSI Problems

Andrew n marshall wrote:

> Hi,
>   I just installed debian for the first time and have run into a problem
> getting LILO to boot properly.  I think it is the standard 'LI' problem
> with SCSI and IDE disks, but I have tried several things I found on the
> web, none of which have been successful.

Before switching from LILO to grub, I had a similar problem, with a
similar HDD setup (also with SCSI and EIDE, booting from SCSI). Maybe my
solution works for you too.

Without going into the details of my setup (if you want to, you can read
up the bug reports 53061 and 67115 in the Debian bug tracking system,
the latter one contains some more hints on the bios=... setting), my
"LI" problem was going away when I did the following procedure:

1. Physically plug out the EIDE drive cable.
2. Boot using a floppy.
3. Install LILO on the SCSI drive.
4. Plug the EIDE drive cable back in.

An alternative which I did then for a long while was this:

1. Get the LILO source.
2. Find out the place in the source code where it detects HDDs.
3. Effectively comment out the "if" block for EIDE drives (the first bug
report mentioned above does this in a nice way).
4. Compile.
5. Install.

This had the same result as plugging the EIDE drive out, but I would not
exactly recommend it in the long term. :-)

I don't exactly remember my bios=... settings anymore (they may be found
in the mentioned bug report, I think), but I do remember that fiddling
around with it did not help.

Good luck,
Ekkehard