Re: LILO+IDE+SCSI Problems

Andrew n marshall wrote:

>   My set up is one primary master IDE hard drive with WinNT on a FAT16
> partition and the NT boot loader in the MBR.  Then I have a IDE CD-ROM in
> the secondary master and two SCSI hard drives, IDs 0 and 1.  The first
> SCSI hard drive has LILO on the MBR, a 20G /boot partition and the
> remainder (4GB) is /.

Although it is possible to have LILO boot NT, I always used the other
way around: Have the NT Loader boot LILO.  There is a mini-HOWTO about
this topic, I think it is called NT-LOADER+Linux.

Here's what you have to do:

lilo.conf
root=/dev/sda2  <-- your root partition
boot=/dev/sda2  <-- also your root partition
image=...       <-- rest as usual

Then reinstall LILO and copy the resulting boot sector on your root
partition to your DOS (NT) C: drive:

# /sbin/lilo
# dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/path-to-your-mounted-c-drive/bootsect.lin

Now open the c:\boot.ini file and add the following entry
C:\bootsect.lin="Real men use real OS"  <-- or any description you like

This tells NTLDR to boot the boot sector saved in the image file, which
will actually boot LILO, which will then boot Linux.

You can also add the entry
default=C:\bootsect.lin

above the partitions section, so NTLDR will boot Linux by default when
it has timed out.

HTH,
Viktor
--