Re: Firewall/Networking Problem

On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 06:09:04PM -0800, Leonard Leblanc wrote:
> I'm setting up a linux box to act as a firewall/proxy for my 4
> computer (win98) network.  I have 2 ethernet cards in the
> linux box (both being detected) and have complete access to
> the internet on my linux box.  I can ping all the win98 boxes
> from my linux box and can ping both network ip's on the linux
> box from the win98 boxes.  The only problem is I can't ping
> anything past my firewall/proxy.  I haven't actually setup any
> firewall rules so I shouldn't be blocking myself out and I'm
> not quite sure where to look.

if your /etc/network/interfaces is properly set up
(and from your description it seems to be) try

	apt-get install ipmasq

you'll be amazed at how much work that saves you!

i presume your localnet is 192.168.[something].* ?
here's my interfaces file:

	# The loopback interface
	iface lo inet loopback

	iface eth0 inet static
		address 192.168.1.1
		netmask 255.255.255.0
		network 192.168.0.0
		broadcast 192.168.1.255

	iface eth1 inet static
		address 208.33.90.85
		netmask 255.255.255.0
		network 208.33.90.0
		broadcast 208.33.90.255
		gateway 208.33.90.84

ipmasq does the rest!

--
See, if you were allowed to keep the money, you wouldn't
create jobs with it. You'd throw it in the bushes or

will@serensoft.com    ***    http://www.dontUthink.com/