Re: more FreeBSD and Debian Linux

Glenn Becker wrote:

> All,
>
> Here is the basic (e.g. no details) list I've put together for installing
> FreeBSD next to Debian. My emphasis at this point is not winding up with
> a system which will not boot and/or on which my Debian install becomes
> unusable. My impulse is to jump in, but I'd rather be prepared.
>
> Can anyone tell me if there are colossal holes here?
>
> 1. create BSD partition with GNU Parted
> 2. add BSD entry to lilo.conf
> 3. copy FreeBSD boot floppy images to disks
> 4. reboot using FreeBSD boot floppies
> 5. install FreeBSD via FTP
> 6. reboot, enjoy!

	When i had FreeBSD on my box with Debian, i found it somewhat useful
to be able to mount the BSD partition from Debian and be able to read the BSD
files. So if your Debian kernel has filesystem UFS and BSD disklabel set you
can do this.
	Now BSD installs on multiple slices("partitions") into one partition.
If possible make this the last partition on your drive. When you list your
partitions you'll see that BSD slices show up as extra "partitions".
	So if you set up your drive with 4 partitions including one
BSD partition of 4 slices you get: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 <hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8>
	IIRC the BSD partition in lilo.conf should also be marked bootable.
	You can run most linux binaries in BSD if you set 'linux_enable=YES'
in rc.conf. and you can read the Debian partition if you compile a BSD kernel
with option for EXT2FS.