Re: Debian potato & KDE

> > My question is as simple as that: where can I download KDE files for
> Debian
> > potato or what should I do step by step to have it on my PC?

Well that is just one address, I can point you to:
http://kde.tdyc.com/     Here you will find a guide, where to find what
you need
 (please go there :-), it has all the required settings. (for the
/etc/apt/sources.list)
	(This list will be looked up by apt-get and dselect to see where they
can get the packages from)
By the way: debian-kde@lists.debian.org is the right place to post
kde-question to.

> > The Debian people did not want to make KDE packages so far. I don't know
> > exactly why that is, but it might be because they receive financial
> > contributions from our "competitor", the gnome project. We do not make
> > binary packages ourselves (for no distribution), that's up to the distributors.

Well - that is not the case. It has to do with the debian policy, that
only security upgrades are done during a stable release. (Potato being
the stablke release) Of course, unstable has many of the nice
KDE-packages. (But these will not suite a stable system). Just before
Potato was released or shortly after, the QT-license changed to GPL or
QPL, thus being able to include in the debian system.

That is why there is a page that offers "homebrew" packages (no - they
are only backports of the packages in unstable)

I would guess, the next release may contain KDE (the next big release).

Ciao, Matthias

--
    /\_/\  \ \_/ \_/ /       *  Matthias Wieser  *