Re: Linux - DNS/WWW/POP

> Leonard Leblanc wrote:

> Can I have one Linux box working as my name server, web server, proxy
> server, mail server, and ftp?

no :) ...but you can be like me and have a linux box that does:

ftp server
ssh server
irc client(screened)
firewall
NAT server(not to be confused with firewall)
DNS server(actually 3 of them, each doing different things)
NFS server
proxy server(squid+adzapper)
imap server
pop3 server
smtp server(+antivirus scanning)
game server(unreal tournament)
web server
network monitoring server(NOCOL)
vpn client
the occasional X windows session but i don't usually have X
loaded at all times on this box.

thats one of the things i love about linux...is having dozens of things
going at the same time. the above machine runs on a k6-3 400 256MB ram.
unlike certain other systems linux(in my experience) does not suffer
when you add more services on it. an example of a system that does
suffer
which i experienced first hand over the weekend was a sun ultra 10
running
solaris 7, puked hard because too many things were running on the box,
the machine wasn't even 6 months old(of the 6 months only 4 were
production)
and it died a horrid death(the root drive anyways) on saturday.

linux rules for multipurpose servers. of course it depends on your load,
the average DNS/WWW/POP server should be able to run off a slow 586
without problems. up until about a year ago i ran an isp off a p100
96megs which did pop3/smtp/www/dns/ftp/ssh/irc/etc. ran great ..

nate

--
:::
ICQ: 75132336