Re: Jed

At Mon, 29 Jan 2001 13:41:03 -0800 (PST) , Xucaen <xucaen@yahoo.com> wrote:

>would anyone care to comment on this (just for
>the sake of my own curiosity)?

Ahh, go on then, I'll have a go :-) Entirely unscientific I'm a farid,
as its entirely from memory of installing on slink.

>----------------------
[snip]
>> I've been using Debian for
>> years, but its jed setup is,
>> to say the least, rather misguided. For some
>> obscure reason, the files
>> that make up the standard jed tar ball are
>> spread in Debian over several
>> deb packages.

Which ones? I recall there being two or three - jed itself, plus the
s-lang library and (something else?). It makes sense to have s-lang
separate, because it is also used with a number of other bits of
John's fine software (slrn, for example).

>> More curious still is the complex
>> set of config files it
>> sees fit to set up.

Huh? Mine worked 'out of the box'! JED and XJED do have complex config
files, its what makes them so flexible. Having said that, the package
does a good job of setting up so that you can use it quickly (to edit
the config files, maybe :-)

>> It makes a great case in favor of compiling
>> one's own.

There's always a case for that.

Get your own FREE E-mail address at http://www.linuxfreemail.com
Linux FREE Mail is 100% FREE, 100% Linux, and 100% yours!