mailservers

I know that exim is the default mailserver on Debian.

Because of being quite new to server administration, I'd like to get some
advise/personal opinions of mailservers (pop, imap and smtp). I don't want
to use sendmail because its so unsecure and difficult to configure!

I already messed around with exim, what was quite easy to configure and the
log analyzer was also nice. Having to make his own package from qmail-src
does not seem to provide so many tools around it?

plz correct me if i'm wrong

regards
Erich Birngruber