Re: Linux Partitions

To quote ktb <x.y.f@home.com>,
# I would add /var to this list.  The reason being is if you run
something
# like squid and don't manage it right it will bring your system down if
# it grows too large.  Maybe with todays large HD's it doesn't matter as
# much but I've had it happen.  Log files can get large also.  Course if
# you are on top of it there isn't a problem but not everyone is,
# especially in the beginning:)  In addition take a look at -
# http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue54/stoddard.html
# There is a little section on partitioning for a gateway.  There are
good
# reasons for having more than 3 partitions.

That's the entire point - "if you run something like squid and don't
manage it right" ...

*IF* you run *something like squid*.

When you over-partition, you *really* screw up versatility. Until they
know what they're using their system for, versatility is key.

David Barclay Harris, Clan Barclay
    Aut agere, aut mori. (Either action, or death.)