Re: Linux Partitions

On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 05:58:57PM -0500, David B. Harris wrote:
> To quote "Leonard Leblanc" <lleblanc@emergeknowledge.com>,
> # Hello Everyone,
> #
> # I am going to be running a Linux box as Firewall/DNS/WWW/FTP/POP and
> maybe some other network applications.  I was wondering what your
> suggestions would be for Partitions.  I have already ready the Partition
> HOWTO, but still aren't quite sure what partitions would be best for my
> applications.
>
> It depends on a number of things; what you'll be using the box for, how
> reliable it needs to be, how much space you have to throw around, how
> experienced you are, how much the box's uses will change over time, and
> a host of other things.
>
> Most people I run in to drastically over-partition their hard drive.
> Five, six, even seven partitions for one running Linux system. Now,
> that's not to say it isn't useful - espeically in high-demand
> environments.
>
> However, until you get a good feel for how much space the different
> directories will be taking, I suggest you make three partitions. One
> swap partition, one root partition, and one /home partition. Only
> reformat the root partition when you re-install your OS(if you ever do).

I would add /var to this list.  The reason being is if you run something
like squid and don't manage it right it will bring your system down if
it grows too large.  Maybe with todays large HD's it doesn't matter as
much but I've had it happen.  Log files can get large also.  Course if
you are on top of it there isn't a problem but not everyone is,
especially in the beginning:)  In addition take a look at -
http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue54/stoddard.html
There is a little section on partitioning for a gateway.  There are good
reasons for having more than 3 partitions.
kent

--
I'd really love ta wana help ya Flanders but... Homer Simpson