Re: mailservers

ebirn wrote:

> Because of being quite new to server administration, I'd like to get some
> advise/personal opinions of mailservers (pop, imap and smtp). I don't want
> to use sendmail because its so unsecure and difficult to configure!

i use sendmail on all my mail servers, usually use exim or postfix on
the
ones that don't act as a "real" servers (just relaying mail for stuff
like
system accounts and scripts and stuff). currently i am working on
deploying
a new mail system which consists of:

1) sendmail 8.9.3 for SMTP
2) amavis (http://amavis.org) for Antivirus scanning
3) Sophos (www.sophos.com ?? i think) as the scanner $500 for 150 users
4) mcafee for unix (www.nai.com ??) as the 2nd scanner $9,000 for 150
users
5) Cyrus IMAP for IMAP4 access (very high performance and reliable)
6) Cyrus POP3 for POP3 access, because cyrus stores it's mail in
a special part of the server accessing it using a "generic" pop3
client would be difficult without modifying the sourcecode to it, so
i just use cyrus's pop3d.
7) sslwrap to enable SSL for POP3 and IMAP4 connections. considering
getting a real certificate from a CA for better SSL encryption.
8) evaluating squirrel mail (http://www.squirrelmail.org/) for the
web front end(haven't actually started the eval yet)
9) Netscape Directory server 3.1 for LDAP database(this runs on
another machine, a sparc running on solaris 7) i never could get
openldap to do what i wanted. not sure how much this costs, the
current version probably runs $10k or something.

i use qmail on the mail hub which routes mail (via aliases and stuff) to
the leaf mail servers which run sendmail. it is not difficult to setup.
amavis is probably the most complicated as it does not have a debian
package last i checked and needs quite a bit of 3rd party programs
to be compiled from source. cyrus does not(AFAIKT) automagically
integrate with MTAs as theuy are installed so that requires some
manual configuration as well.

> I already messed around with exim, what was quite easy to configure and the
> log analyzer was also nice. Having to make his own package from qmail-src
> does not seem to provide so many tools around it?

i haven't tried qmail under debian yet but i think it will be something
i will be attempting sooner rather then later ....the load on the mail
hub(redhat 6 running qmail) gets to about 10 to 15 when scanning for
viruses, so we are replacing the server with one that has hardware that
is about 6-8x faster.

good luck ...!

nate

--