console display problem

For the first time I got different and incorrect results from my
compose key on the tty1-console.

Characters like ëôáéíóú shows up as greek or mathematical symbols on
tty1.  I wanted to send you an example, but copying the output from
tty1 to tty2 resulted in the correct characters displayed in tty2-6.
That convinced me that it is a display problem rather than a keymap
problem.

Any ideas what is causing it?

Johann
--
J.H. Spies - Tel. 082 782 0336
     "My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not."