Re: Still No Cursor in X

hammack wrote:

Problem: I cannot get a cursor in X with my PS/2 generic mouse. I do get a cursor in the Text mode and can cut and paste between VC's. In X I can click in the window and get menus to pop up and occasionally I will lite up a button all in the blind. Below are the two configurations that work.
XF86Config:

Protocol  "PS/2"

Device    "/dev/gpmdata"

or

Protocol  "PS/2"

Device    "/dev/mouse"

and gpm.conf was

Device    /dev/psaux

type       ps2

Now, how do I get the cursor working in X???

Again thanks for the help.

John Hammack@ridgenet.net <mailto:Hammack@ridgenet.net>
I ran into this problem just yesterday on a newly installed Woody box. In /etc/X11/XF86Config, the line "dev/gpmdata" is *supposed* to work, but my symptoms were just like what you're describing. I finally gave up on trying to do it the right way, and set my XF86Config file to use /dev/psaux. From past experience, and from what I've read, this should cause a conflict with gpm, yet it didn't. In fact, everything started working just like it's supposed to.

Kent