Re: apt-get feature question

Quoth David B. Harris,
> Since it's generally very unsafe to install testing/unstable binaries on
> a Potato system(or mixing binaries of any of the distributions, for that
> matter), I'd like to amend this suggestion to the following:
>
> 'apt-get install unstable foo'
>
> Compiles package <foo>(therefore lessening the chances of major
> breakage), and all the "unstable" dependancies that <foo> requires. If
> any of the dependancies are met by your native distribution, they should
> be installed in binary form, without compiling.

We already have that...

$ grep src /etc/apt/sources.list
deb-src http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/debian unstable main contrib
non-free

$ apt-get source foo

$ cd foo

$ debian/rules binary

$ cd ..

# dpkg --install foo

easy!

cheers,

damon

--
Damon Muller              | Did a large procession wave their torches
Criminologist/Linux Geek  | As my head fell in the basket,