Re: apt-get feature question

To quote James Lindenschmidt <jwl@maine.rr.com>,
# My question is, could we put a flag in apt-get that specifies whether
we want
# stable or unstable? Something like this: apt-get install unstable foo?

Since it's generally very unsafe to install testing/unstable binaries on
a Potato system(or mixing binaries of any of the distributions, for that
matter), I'd like to amend this suggestion to the following:

'apt-get install unstable foo'

Compiles package <foo>(therefore lessening the chances of major
breakage), and all the "unstable" dependancies that <foo> requires. If
any of the dependancies are met by your native distribution, they should
be installed in binary form, without compiling.

David Barclay Harris, Clan Barclay
    Aut agere, aut mori. (Either action, or death.)