Re: reluctant farewell

On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 06:26:55PM -0500, Ken Weingold wrote:

[ please don't cc: me on replies, I read the list ]

> MUA's people are using.  And I have seen Webalizer, but people want
> Webtrends.  Real-time on-the-fly reporting and all.  That's it.

So configuring apache to log to an sql database and writing scripts to
build graphs on the fly would do the same thing, right?  I'm
interested in working on something like this; my former employer
wanted stats updated weekly so I wrote a little perl script to do just
that with webalizer (we logged all the data to one logfile since I
didn't want to deal with 1 or two logfiles for each virtual host).
As it turned out this setup made generation of webstats as simple as
adding the virtual host to the apache config; the rest happened
"automagically".

> Incidentally, yesterday I got a call at work from a sales person at
> Webtrends asking how my trial is going with the product.  I am sure
> she regretted calling once she hung up.  I really let her have it
> about how proprietary it was towards on distribution of Linux.  She
> sounded really dejected by the end of the conversation.  I basically
> said that because of that I wouldn't use the product if I weren't told
> to install it.  And other stuff.

Hmm.  Having experienced WebTrends on the NT platform I can understand
your frustration.  However, I must point out that scolding a rep from
a company that isn't too sure about its linux support is not the best
thing you can do for linux advocacy.  It's far better to "encourage"
the rep to support other linux platforms, perhaps by pointing out the
reasons that you choose the other platform.  Sorry for sounding like a
Dale Carnegie type; I did a lot of yelling at sales reps and customers
in my day :)  I can honestly say that the reasoned approach would have
worked better.

Cheers,

Micromuse Inc.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.