Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: Boston area: which ISP would you recommend

On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 08:54:16PM -0500, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:

:I have heard good things about shore.net as well.  In fact I was once
:offerred a sysadmin job by them, and toured their facility.  They're a
:very clueful group.

I know some excellent folks who've worked for shore.net and they still
recommend it now the've moved on to the .com startup world.

I use Verizon DSL (used to be Bell Atlantic, the local TelCo).

Tech support is useless,  IP is purely dynamic (I use a dynamic DNS
service through http://www.dhs.org), and I've found that typicly
expect about one connection drop per week (usually brief).

If you've good with networking and such like, and don't need a rock
solid server platform they're OK.

MediaOne is known to have some periodic routing problems, but based on
what I've heard I'd take them over Verizon.  I've heard a lot of
people with similar problems with RCN to what Noah describes, I'd
avoid them like the plague.

I know most of this is second hand, but as an admin I get to deal with
people's remote connections a bit, if only to determine where the
failure is.

HTH,
-Jon