Re: Open ports & security

On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 08:28:51AM -0600, Brooks R. Robinson wrote:
> machine, and I've come down to just a few open ports left that I have at
> least mild concern about.  They are:
>
> 9	discard
> 13	daytime
> 37	time
> 111	sunrpc
>
> 	Now, I know that 9 will just throw away anything it gets, and that 13 and
> 37 just return the time (in one form or  other), so I am only trivially
> concerned about them.  But what about 111?  Something in my gut says that
> remote procedure call can't be all that good.
> 	Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Port 111 is the portmap daemon, used by NFS and NIS (anything else?).
It doesn't look like you're using NFS or NIS (if so you'd have other
ports open) so you can probably shut it off.  If you do want to keep it
on, it might be worth it to use something like ipchains or iptables to
filter access from the internet.  You can also use /etc/hosts.{allow,deny}
to restrict access to the portmap daemon.

Also, I know of no services that use discard, time, or daytime, so
there's no reason for them to be on.  Of course, there's no *known*
reason to turn them off, either, but...

noah