RE: Open ports & security

> Port 111 is the portmap daemon, used by NFS and NIS (anything else?).
> It doesn't look like you're using NFS or NIS (if so you'd have other
> ports open) so you can probably shut it off.  If you do want to keep it
> on, it might be worth it to use something like ipchains or iptables to
> filter access from the internet.  You can also use /etc/hosts.{allow,deny}
> to restrict access to the portmap daemon.
>
> Also, I know of no services that use discard, time, or daytime, so
> there's no reason for them to be on.  Of course, there's no *known*
> reason to turn them off, either, but...

Okay, so I have edited my /etc/inetd.conf file to turn off discard, time,
and daytime.
No Problem.

I am not using NFS or NIS, and I have started to hunt down how/where to turn
off portmap.

Hmmm...

I check out things in /etc/init.d.  Ahh...  mountnfs.sh!

But wait!  I read through the script....  It shouldn't be on!  There's
nothing to turn it on.

my /etc/fstab:

#
<dump>  <pass>
/dev/hda1       /               ext2    defaults,errors=remount-ro      0
1
/dev/hda3       none            swap    sw                              0
0
proc            /proc           proc    defaults                        0
0
/dev/fd0        /floppy         auto    defaults,user,noauto            0
0
/dev/cdrom      /cdrom          iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noauto         0
0
/dev/hda2       /var            ext2    rw                              0
2
/dev/hda5       /usr            ext2    rw                              0
2
/dev/hda6       /home           ext2    rw                              0
2

	What am I missing?  It's potato with a 2.2.15 kernel.

Thanks,

Brooks