Debian - Testing network (FS105/FA311/10T-2)? CMD/SiS IDE?

I'm convinced there's something fishy going on with either my Windows98
machine, or some of the network components I'm using..

My network consists of:
-Compaq 575e Pentium 75 w/ Win95 + 10Base2/T card
-PPro 200 w/ Win98SE + 10/100BaseT FA311 card
-P133 w/ Debian Linux 2.2.17 (Testing) + 10/100 RTL8139B
-NetGear FS105 5 port 10/100 switched hub

I seem to experience problems maintaining speed. All systems correctly acquire
details via DHCP from Debian box (10.0.0.0/8 net)..

However, frequently after a connection is started, Win98 box will slow to a
crawl on network access and/or time out. SSH seems unaffected, other protocols
(SMB, HTTP, POP3) are affected.

Noticed this tonight, rebooted windows98 box.. All seems fine now..

How can I test each component within my network thoroughly?
Ie. Cabling, switch, RTL8139, FA311 + old 10T/2 card

I suspected cable from switch to 98 machine.. now I suspect 98 machine, but
wish to eliminate network components from equation. I've posted messages about
this before, but up until this point suspected Debian box until I noticed
problems connecting to Win95 box from Win98 box...

Also - anyone have dummy-proof instructions on compiling and installing
modules for FA311 network adaptor? I've had no luck trying manufacturer
(FA311.c) or scyld.com (natsemi.c) drivers. Do I need to compile a custom
kernel with some of the symbols options etc. turned on? Would like to get
RTL8139 out of network, or at least out of Debian box into Compaq and 10T/2
card out of Compaq.

Also have a second Compaq 575e - would like to configure this for Debian
Linux, but Debian seemed to choke on onboard CMD IDE controller after setup
completed - I hear that these (CMD IDE) are horrid things for Linux - any
ideas?

Have SiS IDE controller in my current Debian box - it says something about
bus-mastering disabled in bios, running in a more basic mode. Leave it be? Try
to enable it? I can't see any option in the bios that would affect this unless
bios is hard coded to disable it.

ADFH