Re: Debian Newbie

on Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 02:23:42PM +0100, Vittorio De Martino (v.demart@dada.it) wrote:
> Il Tuesday 23 January 2001 08:59, kmself@ix.netcom.com ha scritto:
>
> > > on Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 08:04:30AM +0100, Vittorio De Martino
> (v.demart@dada.it) wrote:
> > > I've been using RedHat 6.2 and 7.0 for about a year and now I think I'm
> > > ready to have a go at some other Linux distro.  Being fascinated by
> > > Debian stability and real "Open Source" nature I put the following
> > > straightforward preliminary questions:
> > >
> > > Migrating to Debian potato can I have a USB working
> > > support (for an Epson  scanner)  as I have now  automatically set up
> > > under RH7?
> >
> > Check your kernel configuration and USB support included there.  Are you
> > running 2.4 or a 2.2.x series kernel?
>
> RedHat 7 comes with kernel 2.2.16-22 which includes an activated USB
> support by default; I had a chance to have a look at the kernel
> tailoring it to fit my hardware.  I wonder whether it's the same for
> Debian kernel, I mean is there a USB support included whether
> activated or not? If there isn't what should I do?

OK, just walked through this myself.  Most recent Potato kernel (2.2.17)
doesn't appear to have USB support.

I D/L'd the 2.2.18 pre kernel from Woody for my Potato system.  There
*is* USB support, though I've no idea how well things are supported.  I
just compiled it plus one boatload of modules into a new kernel (still
haven't booted <g>).

That's the route I'd tend toward.  About to take this puppy down.