Re: Another newbie (problems with installation)

Patrick Klee wrote:

I'm not sure what problem you're describing.

If your machine will boot off the CD, don't worry about floppies (except
to make a boot floppy near the end of the install for emergency
purposes). If your machine won't boot off the CD, you have to create
some boot/root floppies to get the process started, but rather than go
into details, let me just ask that you post further information as to
what problems you're having.

Kent

I can't boot off of the CD's but I start to install the drivers off of
floppies, and it loads for about 5 seconds, then says it can't find the
file, something like /lib/modules/ not found.

Oh, now I just found out that when I boot from the rescue floppy.  After it
loads into the install screen, or as it is loading, I get a rolling screen
of errors, that says can't load something/li b/modules, I think.  No my
friend, burnt the CDs and created the floppies and he got everything
working, so I know it is probably me, I just can't find the problem, and I
am pretty sure I tried everything at least I can think of.  It there a
troubleshooting HOWTO?  HELP!!!  :-)

I REALLY want this install to work, I am usin debian in college and I want
to be able to comple and run my homework at home.

I'm replying to this, and adding the Debian list back in as a recipient, so that:
  1) Other people who may know more than me can throw in their 2 cents
2) The mail archives have a complete record for other people with similar problems in the future.

It's been a while since I've done a floppy-based install, so I don't remember off the top of my head all that's needed, and I'm short on time at the moment so can't do research. However, other people on this list may be able to help out soon, and I can get back to it later.

One thing that might help is to know what type of hardware you have: laptop/desktop, brand, CPU, SCSI vs IDE drives, ATAPI CD drive vs proprietary, RAM, size of hard drive, any odd hardware, etc.

Also, are the floppies labelled? How many do you have? What order are you putting them in? Do you ever get to the point where it asks for a second (third, etc) floppy?